At Huckleberry, we know that furnishing a child's room involves more than just picking out a cheerful color or theme. It's about choosing kid’s furniture that is not only sustainable and will last for generations, but also discerning what's healthy for your home.
With so many products on the market (most known to contain harmful chemicals directly linked to cancer and other serious conditions), it's hard to know what to look out for.. So, we've created this guide to help you detoxify your kid's room.
DID YOU KNOW?
Evidence suggests that sleep actually clears the brain of toxic metabolic byproducts, which is why having a safe sleep environment is so important, especially for growing children.
Here are some quick tips to make sure your kid’s room is safe…
HOW TO DETOX YOUR KID’S BEDROOM
- Invest in a Non-toxic Bed Frame - Bed frames and other “wooden” furniture can be made from plywood that can release toxins (usually, formaldehyde) for years. They may also be finished with varnishes and stains that you don’t want to inhale. You won’t find any nasty chemicals at Huckleberry!
- Choose a Quality Mattress - Probably the single most important item to consider is the mattress! Due to amount of hours kids (and adults) spend sleeping in direct contact with the mattress, choosing a high-quality mattress is key. Most manufacturer's use foam that can breakdown and off-gas into your breathing space, they also add flame-retardant chemicals which are highly toxic, and directly linked to cancer. The good news is, there are better alternatives now, like wool that naturally resists fire and allergens. Same for pillows.
- Purchase Organic Bedding - Look for OEKO-TEX® certification when shopping for bedding and fabrics. Being certified by OEKO-TEX® Standard 100, means that all fabrics in Huckleberry’s Bedding are tested down to the very last strand of thread for over 100 harmful substances, using strict European certification standards. This includes all of the Huckleberry and Lifetime Bedding, Cushions, Canopies, and Rugs (including zippers, snaps and closures, etc.).
- Detox with Kid friendly Plants - Plants do double duty by absorbing airborne toxins and producing clean oxygen. Here's one list suggestion of plants that are suitable for kids.
- Use only Fragrance-free and Chemical-free laundry soap and cleaners.
- Avoid Plastics. I know, I know, plastics are everywhere.. But my friend, who is a doctor, recently went plastic-free in her entire home! If you can substitute plastic for natural and re-usable materials, like woven baskets for bins, or glass for your soap dispenser (fill the dispenser then toss the plastic) - your home will be much safer.
- Don’t Sweep! Yay! Instead, use a high-quality HEPA-sealed vacuum. Sweeping sends plumes of toxic dust into the air. Of course, if you don’t have any toxic furniture in your bedroom, this is less of an issue!
We can confidently state that all of our Youth furniture products are 100% Non-Toxic and Worry-free!
Huckleberry hand-picks and curates all of our products to ensure they are made with the best materials and highest safety and sustainability practices - and never contain any harmful chemicals.
All beds, furniture, textiles and mattresses at Huckleberry are also rigorously tested to meet (and often exceed) both the European and US Standards. Visit our Warranty & Safety information page for all of the details about our testing and certifications.
Wishing you and your family SWEET and SAFE dreams!